Friday 1 December 2017

I WILL BE A GOOD IDEA TO HAVE A GREAT DAY

Link to video of experimental performance of the predictive text pieces (ie, what my phone thinks I want to say).

I took a random selection of the predictive text pieces from an input into an excel spreadsheet and ordered them thematically from the original prompt, moving from randomly inputted words, to single prompts, through to longer chosen sequences of words as I attempted to speak freely more before the predictions were initiated. In speaking the words I allowed myself to attempt to convey emotion while I was saying things which I wanted to and then mimicked the voice-generator from earlier experimentation; a relatively toneless and dysfunctional dialect, to suggest the takeover of the phone.

Making the performance public allowed me to test how I would react with the introduction of people. It was at times difficult as I could not anticipate reactions to the piece, particularly how humorous it came across at times. I felt the performance itself became a strange mixture of stand up comedy and a confessional. Meaning was read into the generated words and I found the pressure of speaking to a watchful group somewhat difficult.

In further experiments I believe I will find it easier if the audience is somewhat more obscure or removed, ie in darkness or online, allowing me to focus on the speech itself. I may also develop further from impersonating the voice-generator as I believe it does not effectively convey fusion of human and technology and could become unintentionally comical.

No comments:

Post a Comment