Tuesday 6 June 2017


LAMPSHADE EXPERIMENTS
1. Living room curtain.



As part of my exploration of the limitations of aphantastia, I made small experimental pieces, taking the memory of a pattern or colour from home and attempting to recreate it on a lampshade.

Attempt 1
This was highly unsuccessful. The curtains at home are one of the most familiar items to me as they have been in place as long as I can remember. Golden coloured flower form a pattern down a yellow background. When I attempted to paint this from memory, I could barely recall the correct colours, let alone recreate the complex shapes of the flowers. All that was successful was the sense of warmth I recall from looking at them, which was accentuated by the light shining through, as if the sun was coming in through the curtains.

On the other hand this distorted version of reality is a good reflection of memories itself, despite my personal frustrations.

No comments:

Post a Comment