Tuesday 6 June 2017

MEMORY INSTALLATION
Using time lapse photography, I captured the creation of the installation. The installation itself was focused on the process of creation, therefore the final form is not the developed work, but a product of it.

It was created by layering and building a mass with single objects, collected and stored from childhood, which would then be doused in white paint and the process repeated. I started the installation with the intent to make it appear to grow from the walls of the studio, to capture it's progress and to experience the process of acknowledging and obliterating memories. As visual cues to memories, each object was precious despite its lack of material value. I took time to acknowledge each thing and the memory it prompted before obliterating it. Therefore it was an extremely emotionally draining exercise, destroying these ties and access to earlier memory; something which I severely underestimated. 

It grew as a natural form would, invading both the personal space of the 'Home installation' and my workspace in the studio, which was greatly reflective of the effect of the process. The white paint was useful in retaining a sense of the form of the thing, while still linking to my personal connection of the colour with memory loss.

This was my final developed piece as it allowed me to access the very feelings and impressions I was exploring as part of my work. While I did not intend for the effect to be so severe, its creation affirmed the fear of forgetting and lack of visual connection to memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment