Sunday 17 June 2018


ARTIST STATEMENT

I engage with technology to create collaborative artwork, working with my devices to realise their artistic potential. The art we create together explores how far technology can infiltrate and mimic the human and whether it can be capable of artistry.

My phone is broken and glitching and my laptop had to be completely replaced prior to this show, elements which have further influenced the aesthetic qualities of the artworks and its physical manifestation. This is also an aspect which has led me to regard the heavily-used device not as a simple product of mass-manufacture, but something which can have a unique identity and bond fostered by the owner. The predictive text function has been particularly fascinating in this regard; mimicking and replicating my own language patterns in a manner which can be simultaneously illuminating and ludicrous.

This art intends to subvert the nature and structure of the artistic establishment it is housed within, just as my phone offers a convoluted, problematic version of what it was originally manufactured to present. It is difficult to navigate and understand, it is visually off-putting, random and irrational. Through collaborating with my devices I have inadvertently categorized my practice under a new genre of ‘technological absurdism’.

No comments:

Post a Comment