Sunday 17 June 2018

Peter Scott Gallery 
My initial plan was to create a frame plugged into a dummy socket and test how far something could be perceived as an electric or interactive object through the presence of wiring and the appearance of cabled connection. There is, however, no interactivity or technological aspect to it and I'm hoping that in the time taken to realise there is not functionality, the viewer will have engaged with the artwork more thoroughly in an attempt to understand it.

I then decided to push this further. I decided the frame would display an artists statement for the work I have been completing and rather than label or title the art, I would put a poem in the place of the text on the title card. By swapping the art and the explanation of the art, I am again hoping to capture the viewers attention for a longer period of time though confusion and raise questions to do with the focus and attention of the artwork.
When making the contents of the framed work I included a number of computer generated and handmade glitches. The card was cut into to glitch the traditional framing and the statement itself was put through several programmes and layered many times to  appear as my phone screen would and retain traces of the process itself. Finally, I recreated the smashed glass effect using a gluegun.

I had to make some adjustments to my plan owing to the standardisation of title cards in the Peter Scott Gallery. I felt it would be best to comply to these measurements so that the title card would not initially stand out as different from the rest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment